Related funded research projects
- Engage.NRW – Interaktive Lösungen für die Wirtschaft / Interactive solutions for business
- GDI Ruhr – Tapping the full potentials of the games industry and incarnating these into an expertise-network
- FoSIBLE – Developing a social-network platform for elderly people
- Kinben – The Open Source Gamification Engine is a RESTful service meant to support engineers gamifying working processes.
- 2DGree – The 2DGree framework applies methods of visual programming to develop rapid game prototypes.
- Grimmix – Grimmix unites a game and a storytelling engine and forms an entertaining experience
- Gameful Design Process – Guidelines for the Gameful Design Process
Playful and Social Interaction
Design principles and interaction styles found in computer games bear a high potential for improving the user experience also in other, more ‘serious’ applications. We apply the concept of playfulness in a range of domains, such as medical and health applications, energy efficiency or smart mobility. In the FOSIBLE project, for instance, we combined playful health training with social interaction among elderly users. Other developments have addressed, for example, improving the health condition in juvenile diabetics or involving citizens in urban planning.
Game Design and Analytics
We support research and development teams through all stages of the game design process and perform player experience and game usability studies focussing on user tests in our game lab. The lab features video and eye tracking systems and the option to conduct remote tests. Furthermore, we use game metrical data to analyze player behavior, balance game mechanics and identify general issues within the game design.
Game Design and Gamification
We support research and development teams through all stages of the game design process and perform player experience and game usability studies. We utilize video and eye-tracking systems as well as remote tests to investigate into game usability aspects. Furthermore, the application of game design methodologies in traditional work environments is one particular focus. Coined as gamification, we design, apply and measure gamified processes.
- Ein Vorgehensmodell für angewandte Spielformen. Schmidt, R., Brosius, C., and Herrmanny, K. (2015). HMD Praxis der Wirtschaftsinformatik, 1–14. [BibTeX] [DuEPublico]
- Der IGQ - Ein Messinstrument für die Wirksamkeit von Gamification. Kettner, R., Herrmanny, K., and Gaulke, W. (2015). Mensch und Computer 2015 – Workshopband. Berlin [u.a.]: De Gruyter Oldenbourg. [BibTeX] [DuEPublico]
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a memory aid system. Bayen, J., Dogangün, A., Grundgeiger, T., Haese, A., Stockmanns, G., and Ziegler, J. (2013). Gerontology : international journal of experimental and clinical gerontology, 59(1), 77–84. [BibTeX] [DuEPublico]
- Fostering Social Interaction in AAL: Methodological reflections on the coupling of real household Living Lab und SmartHome approaches. Budweg, S., Lewkowicz, M., Müller, C., and Schering, S. (2012). i-com : Zeitschrift für interaktive und kooperative Medien, 11(3), 30–35. [BibTeX] [DuEPublico]
- Gameinsam – A playful application fostering distributed family interaction on TV. Herrmanny, K., Budweg, S., Klauser, M., and Kötteritzsch, A. (2012). EuroITV 2012, Bridging People, Places and Platforms. Adjunct proceedings: 10th European Interactive TV Conference, Berlin, July 4-6, 2012. Berlin: Fraunhofer FOKUS. [BibTeX] [DuEPublico]
- View all related publications »